About the Counselors
All counselors are Northwestern students who go through a competitive application and interview process during the fall quarter. Counselors are placed into different committees that together make Camp Kesem Northwestern possible. We welcome all students to join a committee to help out, as you are not required to be a counselor to be on a committee. All of our students are passionate about the mission of Camp Kesem and often put in several hours each week on top of their coursework to make camp as successful as possible.
Our 2013-2014 Executive Board
Co-Directors: Connor “Alaska” Samuelson and Krish “Hobbes” Suresh
Vice Director: Kaila “Snow White” Zogheb
Operations Co-Chairs: Kriti “Kit Kat” Goel and Sash “Superman” Patel
Teen Camp Operations Chair: Leah “Bioshock” Bowman
CIT Operations Chair: Molly “Kirby” Davies
Volunteer Co-Chairs: Nick “Hot Mustard” DiMaso and Benison “Tsunami” Choi
Outreach Co-Chairs: Tyler “Clifford” Blaz and Dana “Ducky” Driskill
PR and Marketing Chair: Anna “Jelly Belly” Zambelli
Finance Chair: Emily “Loon” Allen
Grants Chair: Kaustubh “Sloth” Garimella
Development Co-Chairs: Danielle “Sunny D” Fong and Mary Kate “Twinkie” Binecki
1. Outreach – in charge of recruiting campers and staying in contact with families throughout the year. They send out information to prospective campers and organizations and contact parents in order to provide communication between our camp and prospective families
2. Development – organizes campus fundraising events throughout the year, applies for support from local foundations, and contacts local businesses for support and sponsorships.
3. Operations – plans the entire schedule of camp, which involves creating a new and exciting set of activities every year! They decide what special guests to bring in, and the special themes of each day. Also in charge of organizing reunions throughout the year.
4. PR and Marketing - gets the word out about camp to kids and families in the Chicagoland area. In charge of the website, campus flyering, and getting in contact with newspapers and the local media about Camp Kesem at Northwestern.
5. Volunteer Support – recruits and trains the counselors. They are responsible for making sure counselors are 100% ready for the summer session.
Interested in becoming a counselor?
As a counselor in Camp Kesem Northwestern, you will:
1. Provide a place that offers caring support for campers and their families
2. Spend a magical week with wonderful children during the summer
3. Be part of a group of 50+ volunteer counselors dedicated to making Camp Kesem possible
4. Undergo extensive training prior to camp
5. Work with the CKNU administrative team, and Camp Kesem National’s professional staff to promote our mission and values
6. Organize special camp events with creative themes
7. Enjoy tasty smores around a bonfire sharing stories
8. Much much more!
We hope that you will all consider applying to become part of this amazing organization, dedicated to serving families and children suffering from the burden of cancer. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns. Thanks again for all your support and interest!
2013 Counselor Boys’ Dance
Camp Kesem NU Boy’s Dance 2013