Counselor in Training Program
What is a Counselor in Training Program?
A Counselor in Training (CIT) Program is for 17 and 18 year olds who are interested in being a Camp Kesem counselor. The program will take place the same week as camp (August 9-15) at the same location (Camp Pinewood in Twin Lake, MI), however the programming is different. The CIT program will focus on building the leadership and communication skills necessary to be a Camp Kesem counselor.
What will CITs do at camp?
CITs will participate in leadership development sessions, a community service project, an overnight camp out, and additionally will be assigned to units for hands-on counselor experience at camp.
What are the requirements?
- Must be 17-18 years old on the first day of camp.
- Open to 17 & 18 year olds who:
- Have or have had a parent with cancer
- Do not have a parent with cancer, but know a previous Camp Kesem camper
- Do not have a parent with cancer, and do not know a previous Camp Kesem camper, but are interested in being a Camp Kesem counselor.
- Must send two letters of recommendation from non-relatives with CIT application (one can be from previous Camp Kesem counselor or Director).
- Must participate in activities during the school year that consist of:
- Fundraising (additional information provided upon acceptance into program)
- Monthly fundraising check-ins
- Attendance of 1 Camp Kesem MSU executive meeting (if you live within a certain driving distance)
- Any mandatory counselor meetings
- Counselor training
- A separate CIT training
How do I apply?
Just fill out the application (linked below) and get 2 letters of recommendation and send them by February 1, 2015 to:
PO Box 4753
East Lansing, MI 48823
Or email an electronic copy to- email@example.com
Please do not hesitate to contact Peaches & Herc at the email address above with any questions!